Brady sits at the geographic center of Texas at the northwestern edge of the beautiful hill country. With its majestic historical courthouse, rolling green field and mounds of seasonal bluebonnets, Brady is a spectacular place to call home.
Established in 1876 and incorporated in 1906, Brady serves as the county seat for McCulloch County and stands out as a rich agricultural community. Also home to award-winning hunting and numerous other outdoor recreational opportunities, nature lovers of all types will find enjoyment in our area.
The City of Brady maintains an attractive 9-hole, par 71 golf course. Built in the 1930's, today's course provides competitors five bunkers and three water hazards with Live Oak Creek crossing the course in two places. The course offers a year-round calendar full of tournaments and some of the best views in town.
Located 5 miles west of town, Brady Lake, with 25 miles of shoreline and over 2,000 surface acres, offers outdoor enthusiasts boating, skiing, swimming, camping, fishing and relaxation for the entire family. Facilities at Brady Lake Park include a large covered pavilion, restroom and showers, full and partial RV hook-ups, screened-in cabanas, primitive campsites and numerous picnic areas. Located just north of Brady Lake is the Kenneth Medlock Gun Range, which is the state headquarters for the Texas Muzzle Loaders Rifle Association.
Richards Park is another jewel in Brady. The 44 acres of shaded green offer a wonderful setting for families to make memories. There are numerous picnic and camping areas, with full and partial RV hook-ups, and a large covered pavilion. For the sports enthusiasts there are lighted baseball and soccer fields, tennis courts and a disc golf course. Adjacent to Richards Park is Brady's state-of-the-art Aquatic Park, a unique complex with a swimming pool, children's water features, BBQ pits, picnic pavilions, playground, sand volleyball courts, and washer and horseshoe pitching pits.
Brady Municipal Airport at Curtis Field lies just north of town on US Highway 377 and boasts improvements including a paved runway and apron, aircraft parking, and refueling areas. Overnight hangars and tie-downs, ground transportation and internet access are available to visitors. The airport also offers pilot training programs for those interested. Facilities include a pilot's lounge, conference and meeting rooms, flight planning and a full kitchen. Curtis Field is also home to the World War II era Texas Zephyr C-47 aircraft, which can be viewed during normal airport business hours.
There are numerous shopping and dining options around town. The quaint downtown square encircles the gorgeous historic courthouse and houses a variety of boutique shopping, furniture stores, wine bar and the historic Palace Theater. South of the square, numerous shops and restaurants line Bridge Street to serve your needs.
Three school districts serve McCulloch County residents.
Brady Independent School District covers 643 square miles in McCulloch and Concho Counties. It is a 3A district among three campuses which serves approximately 1,250 students with a staff of 208 employees. The district's mascot is the bulldog and school colors are black and gold. In addition to core classes, the district offers dual credit, advanced placement (AP), and career technology classes (CATE). Students compete in UIL academic and athletic events.
Brady ISD is committed to having the latest and most efficient modern technology for all students, including a total of 1,200 computers and 100 Apple iPads dedicated strictly for student use. Most every classroom has a laptop cart of 24 laptops for online learning and testing. Students have access to laptops, tablets, and desktop computers in a lab environment for everyday learning. As the world of technology changes on a daily basis, Brady ISD is committed to effectively upgrade the use of technology throughout the district to better serve the students and increase their success in the future.
Brady Elementary School serves students Pre-Kindergarten through 5th grade. Brady Middle School serves students in 6th through 8th grades. Brady High School serves students in the 9th through 12th grades.
Lohn Independent School District is a rural district serving 128 students in kindergarten through 12th grade. The school mascot is the eagle, and school colors are maroon and white.
Lohn Schools have a proud history that spans three centuries with the original construction of the Central School in 1896 consolidated three schools in town. The current main building was built in 2004, and an agricultural science building complete with classrooms and workshops was added in 2009.
Lohn ISD offers a number of extra curricular activities for students and has won district, regional and state championships in 6-man football, basketball, cross country, track and tennis. Students have also qualified for regional and state competitions in UIL academic activities including one-act play, debate, science, poetry reading and social studies.
Rochelle Independent School District is a rural district serving 205 students in kindergarten through 12th grade. The school mascot is the hornet, and school colors are blue and gold.
During 1923 an auditorium / gymnasium and two additional classrooms were built. This is the same building that houses our elementary classes today (the gym is still being used for sports but a cafeteria / auditorium was added in 1985). By 1930 there were approximately seven hundred and fifty students attending Rochelle School and by 1931 the first school buses were purchased. A 1927 Model T Ford wagon was actually used to transport students prior to this and by the 1937-38 school year they were operating five school buses.
Surrounding community schools consolidated with Rural Rochelle High School in 1930. These schools included Placid, Claxton, Corn Creek, and Round Mountain. By the end of 1937 Cowboy, Fairview, East Sweden and Mercury had transferred their high school students to Rochelle. The high school was completely rebuilt by the Work Projects Administration between 1938-40. There was no longer a second story or a bell tower.
Many additions to the campus have been erected over the years. A new gymnasium was added 1n 1989 and a building our 3rd, 4th, 5th grades and computer classes was built in 1986. There is also an agricultural shop and band hall next to the football field. Presently, a new field house with classrooms is under construction. It has been over 100 years since those humble beginnings and Rochelle School is still serving the community with pride.
A wide variety of extra curricular activities are available for students including academic, athletics, clubs and fine arts.